top of page
  • Writer's pictureAndré Rembert

R1-Workers' Comp in South Carolina

Workers comp

R1-Workers' Comp in South Carolina

The workers' Compensation program in Sc helps provide cash compensation for injuries or ailments that were caused by a persons job. An individual must be able to prove that the injuries or illness they have are a direct result of their workplace.

When an injury or illness takes place due to a job or work environment, it will need to be reported to the employer as soon as you can. The best way to do this is in writing; this is crucial if you want to protect your rights to receive compensation. An employer must be notified of the issues within 90 days, or you may forgo your right to file a lawsuit against the company.

Although it is uncommon, some employers may try to deny or downgrade your injuries or, in some instances, if they do file your claim with the Workers' Comp Commission, they may not pay you the proper amount that is owed to you. In situations such as this having an attorney at your side is essential so that they can help ensure you are adequately taken care of. If your workers' compensation claim is approved, you will potentially be able to receive compensation for past, recent, and future medical bills that you acquire due to the work-related incident and also wage loss. In certain situations, if needed, one may also receive long-term disability.

Medical care coverage's include:

  • Perscriptions

  • Doctor visits

  • Surgery or Procedures

  • Physical Therapy

And any other medical treatments you may require.

If the injury or ailment is only temporary, then the legal term for this is "temporarily totally disabled." This is when you have been injured severely enough that you are unable to work. The same rule applies if you are to sick to report to work. In cases like this, you will most likely be eligible to receive payment for the time that you are missing from work. A person must be out-of-work for more than seven days to be able to receive workers' compensation. You may be able to continue to receive payment until your doctor clears you for work.

On the other hand, in a situation of "permanent partial disability," an individual will probably be able to continue to obtain compensation for an extended period. "Permanent partial disability" is the legal term for when a person has been temporarily disabled and cannot return to work promptly.

If, however, the injuries or illness resulted in "permanent total disability," an individual is counted as wholly and permanently disabled and may be able to receive additional compensation. In cases of brain-damaged employees or workers that are now paraplegics or quadriplegics, they may receive compensation for life. The insurance company, the workers' comp commission, and yourself will meet to determine what you should receive.

It's a good idea to have a skilled attorney advising you as you proceed through these processes. They can help make sure that you receive fair compensation and to help guide you in the entire process about what needs to be done and what steps to take to better ensure that your case is approved. If you or a relative have received an injury or have an illness due to your job, call The Rembert Law Firm today.

6 views0 comments


bottom of page